Minnesota's Winter Sports
Timber Bay Activities
Houseboat and cabin rentals on Birch Lake in the Superior National Forest near Ely Minnesota and the Boundary Waters Wilderness Canoe Area BWCA and Quetico Provincial Park.
- Swimming, water skiing, canoeing, and kayaking are just some of the waterfront activities at our fine sand beach. Supervised during the afternoon swimming hours, the beach is safe for swimmers of all ages.
- Golf at nearby Babbitt Golf Club. This reasonably priced and challenging nine hole course features well maintained greens and complete rental facilities. Advance reservations are not required. The Ely Municipal Course is also a convenient, challenging course. Giants Ridge Golf Course one of the premier golf courses of the upper Midwest is located less than 30 minutes from Timber Bay Lodge. The Wilderness at Fortune Bay made the best new course link in GolfWeek Magazine.
- Fish for trophy walleyes, northern and crappies along the many miles of unspoiled shoreline, rugged islands, and deep bays of beautiful 20 mile long Birch Lake. Rental boats and motors, gas, bait, and tackle can be purchased at the resort. Experienced fishing guides are available upon request.
- Children's Activities Our full time children's activities director organizes nature and craft activities, picnics and hikes each weekday morning for children ages 5 to 12 leaving the parents free time to golf, fish, shop, or just plain relax.
- Naturalist Activities Naturalist program includes hikes, videos on wild birds and animals, star gazing, and early morning canoe trips. Enjoy a story, a hike, or a video about Northern Minnesota.
- Hike the many trails that wind through the beautiful Norway Pine forest that surrounds Timber Bay.
- Bike the paved trails through the woods from Timber Bay to Babbitt or the public beach. Bicycles are available at the resort at no charge.
- Game room in the trading post features free ping-pong, pool, and foosball and juke box for the teenagers. Evening activities include cookouts and campfires.
- Other outdoor activities include volleyball, basketball, horseshoes, shuffleboard and archery.
- Our traditional Friday night BBQ and bonfire way to end your week at Timber Bay.
- Ely area shopping and restaurants Visit nearby Ely for a wide variety of unique shopping and dining opportunities including the latest in camping, handicraft, and outdoor ware.
- Other area attractions include the International Wolf Center, the Tower-Soudan underground mine, the North Shore of Lake Superior, the world famous Boundary Waters Canoe Area, North American Bear Center and the Ely Blueberry Arts Festival. For a glimpse of great pictures and interesting articles take a look at The Boundary Waters Journal.